Integrated Facility Services completed the first chiller retrofit in North America using the Hanbell oil-less variable-speed Magnetic Bearing Centrifugal.
IFS developed a sustainable solution to a complex challenge when the motor of a 1500-ton chiller, providing air conditioning to the 130,000-square-foot casino and numerous restaurants, bars and entertainment venues at Ameristar Casino failed. Both the expensive option to remove and replace the chiller as well as repair the existing chiller were ruled out.
After reviewing several other compressor alternatives, IFS’s engineers contacted long-time project partners, Micro Control Systems Inc (MCS), a global provider of industrial control panels and the North American Distributor of Hanbell compressors. The team developed a plan to replace the old constant-speed single compressor with two, 450-ton, variable-speed Magnetic Bearing centrifugal compressors.
This retrofit option provides:
- 900 tons of cooling
- Elimination of high peak energy charges during start up
- Turn down capabilities to eliminate compressor cycling during low load conditions
- Decreased operating costs
- Reduction in energy losses due to friction
- Increases the heat transfer efficiency of the chiller